Tuesday, May 7, 2013

{Kitchen Tea} Recipe Book

 photo ourwedding_zps0d13643a.jpg

Oh hey again from the big smoke of London!
It is SO good to finally be reunited with 1x husband.

Last week I promised to post a specific wedding-related blog post on Friday - but Friday was a bit :
 photo recipe41_zpsf8dea9f3.jpg

and that small moment when I nearly missed my flight to London.


And by nearly, I mean, the gates were already closed.

 photo recipe42_zpsfcfda999.jpg  photo recipe43_zpsed506c02.jpg  photo recipe44_zpsb888872f.jpg

Like dude. Husband. London. Me. South Africa. And if I don't get ON this flight - I miss the connecting one. LIKE DUDE.

So massive kudos to Emirates for letting me on even though I was super a little late and in spite of the fact that "this flight has been open for check-in for four hours ma'am." Yeah, i know, It's a long story.

I flew on Friday night from Durbs and landed in London Saturday lunchtime to husband who greeted me with "HELLO WIFE" signs at the airport. (Well done husband).

So anyway - last week I promised to post about the awesome thing we are all oogling in this pic at my kitchen tea-

 photo kitchen5_zps4c405c10.jpg

So without wasting any more time - here it is:

 photo recipe6_zpsbdf38781.jpg

An entire hand-crafted, illustrated, up-cycled recipe book with recipes from my friends and family from across the world. Kerry, my awesome maid of honour (seriously - you should hire her) was inspired by the book I crafted for her to ask her to be my maid of honour. She wanted to make a recipe book that was "completely my style" and filled with messages and quirky things and bits and pieces from all the ladies I love the most.

 photo recipe33_zpsc80bf84b.jpg

But what makes it so special to me, is that it's not just any recipe book - The entire thing is ring bound around a huge All Saints paper bag - all the pages, bags, recipes, pictures, photos, comments and bits and pieces are slotted in, bound, tied, punched, washi-taped together to create the most interesting and textured recipe book - just up my street!


 photo recipe37_zps7911b828.jpg  photo recipe40_zpse9472413.jpg

Apart from all the awesome recipes - which I'm super keen to try - I love love all the comments and remarks left by my friends and family - who are all well aware of my "cooking abilities"

How to look like a glamourous goddess while cooking: "Let the steam from the pot boiling on the stove make you hot and flustered. Team with shorter nightie or birthday suit. Wear high heels or plimsols for a sexy-cute or sexy look - bare feet are not sexy. Brandish the wooden spoon like a conductor of culinary excellence."

 photo recipe30_zps9f102f1c.jpg

"If with child, do not cook" 
(ahem did you see that Warren? For future reference.)

 photo recipe28_zps1f2b59b4.jpg

"For when life throws you lemons lemonade - (this is only because I dont have a recipe for homemade tequila, otherwise I would say go for that and ditch the lemonade.)"


 - Rebecca

 photo recipe36_zps9c41d690.jpg  photo recipe29_zpsbdf25109.jpg  photo recipe25_zpsbc1f9fa6.jpg
"Side Note: DO NOT stray away from the recipe + try your own "a dash of this+that" - it will not work! - It never has with you remember?"
 -lil lis.


Haha my friends. they know me.

 photo recipe26_zps34d23b58.jpg  photo recipe24_zpsd1e42176.jpg  photo recipe23_zps0b5c6e35.jpg

"No matter how poor, lazy or old you become - it is never ok to eat cat food."


 - Lol Bakes.

 photo recipe22_zps8a617762.jpg

"Thou shalt lie naked and place thy sushi upon thy body. Beware of the cheeky wasabi"


 - Sash... hahahaha. ha.

 photo recipe34_zpsac21b974.jpg  photo recipe21_zpse5507df9.jpg  photo recipe20_zps07e3329c.jpg  photo recipe17_zps630b2f94.jpg
 photo recipe16_zps25d13797.jpg

Recipe history from the days of pre-primary school 
- from Shelley, my godmother who has known me since I was born.

...and cooking instructions for rice. Yeah, my cooking skill: it's that chronic.

 photo recipe15_zpsc5067860.jpg  photo recipe35_zpsa7d5a2b4.jpg

Warr's sisters making sure that I feed their brother.

And illustrations from Warr's niece.

 photo recipe13_zps08f04001.jpg  photo recipe9_zps0b5892d7.jpg  photo recipe18_zps1557de4e.jpg

"Debben" Original recipes from my Debben mate Sarah - 
and yes - wine does make everything so much better in the kitchen.

 photo recipe19_zps78497b93.jpg  photo recipe2_zps70a77419.jpg

forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair - kahil gibran

 photo recipe27_zps499ec7e2.jpg  photo recipe3_zpsdfbc2671.jpg

"something to look out for - if they are black when you take them out, they are overdone."
- Shelly.

 photo recipe5_zps6ff346e8.jpg

Carrot Cake Recipe from my bridesmaid and Recipes and cartoons from Warr's mom.

 photo recipe1_zps800b2bac.jpg


Banana bread recipe from the Cleverbird.

 photo recipe12_zps7ce701dc.jpg
 photo recipe11_zps37efe015.jpg


" a Ché-proof chocolate mousse, made even simpler just in case"

 - Sarah-Faye.

 photo recipe10_zpsc84286ea.jpg

Inside the back pocket of the recipe book - are copies of the invitations that Kerry and the Bridesmaids sent out -

 photo recipe38_zps87a312b8.jpg  photo recipe7_zps896376fc.jpg  photo recipe32_zpsf896a4f8.jpg

and yes - Warren does cook so well for me. sigh.


This is the most amazing kitchen-tea gift, not only for the compilation of fantastic recipes but the way that it was crafted and created in a way that is just so completely "me". I completely love it! I have already used a recipe from it as a sampler and it was DELISH! (and i didn't blow up anything). I can't explain how much all the love, creativity, time and effort that went into making this means to me. Thank you to ALL the amazing ladies who contributed recipes, cartoons and pics and to Kerry for putting this incredible keepsake together - I will treasure it forever! x

4 comments :

Sarah G said...

So sad I didn't have the time to contribute to this. It's SO beautifully put together and so perfectly "Che". Awesome job, Kerry.

Anonymous said...

hello there and thank you for your information – I have certainly picked up anything new from right
here. I did however expertise a few technical points using this website, since I experienced to reload the web site many times previous to I could get it to
load correctly. I had been wondering if your web host is OK?
Not that I'm complaining, but slow loading instances times will often affect your placement in google and can damage your high-quality score if advertising and marketing with Adwords. Well I am adding this RSS to my e-mail and can look out for a lot more of your respective intriguing content. Make sure you update this again very soon.

Feel free to visit my web-site ... graduate Certificate programs

Anonymous said...

We are a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community.
Your site provided us with valuable information to work on.
You've done an impressive job and our entire community will be thankful to you.

my site Air Jordan

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! Incredible article dude! Many thanks, However I am having
problems with your RSS. I don't understand the reason why I
can't subscribe to it. Is there anyone else having the same
RSS problems? Anyone who knows the answer will you kindly respond?
Thanx!!

My page :: lose weight fast