Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Cooking for the in-laws

On Sunday, I invited the future in-laws around for lunch. Little Miss Cooking-Catastrophe decided to cook for the in-laws. That is bravery right there, folks. The lovely Warra's mom had bought me an awesome cookbook the last time I went to stay with them (subtle hint if I do say so myself)  -

Photobucket
One, Two, Three On the Table - Bernice van der Merwe.

It's super handy book because the meals are all categorised into how long they take to prepare. (Even although the "ten-minute" meals really take me closer to two hours. But I think that's me, not the book.) I decided to make the Mediterranean Chicken Dish - which turned out to be rather yum. (high-five self) I decided to make one of my mom's delicious puds for dessert - We call it Star pudding. But it's probably got a bajillion-other names...

Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
The Recipe is really simple and trust me - if I can do it, YOU can do it.
Ingredients:
1 cup flour
2 beaten eggs
1 cup apricot jam
1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon
2 tablespoons butter
3/4 of a teaspoon bicarb mixed with -
1 cup of milk
Rub butter into flour, then stir all the ingredients in. Bake at 180' until golden brown (about 20 mins)
Sauce:
2 cups cream (I used one)
1 cup sugar
2 beaten eggs 
Beat together and wait until pudding is cooled before pouring it over. Bake for 10-15 mins at 180' until it goes golden-brown on top.
Serve with cream and/or ice-cream.
yum.
You can also check out The Vegan Stoner for amazing Vegan recipes that are quick and easy to prepare and each recipe is posted with a simple cartoon list of ingredients and method - cute and tasty.
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

6 comments :

Warra said...

I'm so proud of you & your cooking for the future in-laws! They loved your delish feast! I can't wait for my turn soon! 'Little Miss Cooking-Catastrophe' no longer ;) xxx 

Weezafish said...

Yay, you cooked and it was yummy! And thanks for the recipes, gonna try me some falafel pie

Melissa said...

Oh Star Pudding looks a lot like Malva Pudding ... one of my favourite puds in the whole wide world (UK sticky toffee doesn't come close!)

Yum ...

vanessa said...

Che k- I got super confused in the above post! haha I started reading the recipe for the star pudding and thought hang on how is this going to make mediterranean chicken - this girl really can't cook! well done though, it sounds like you did a great job! 

Che Kershaw said...

hahaha.. that's usually how my cooking goes.. haha but this time thankfully it was a success! :)

Che Kershaw said...

it was yum! yay!